We did it! Joe and Kamala are headed to the White House – and what a collective relief! Take a deep breath and experience how good it feels to have adults return to the business of our government! But let us not rest while the fate of the Senate remains undecided. All eyes and all actions are on the Georgia runoff elections. Here’s what YOU can do!
Text & Phone Bank w/ Stacy Abram’s FAIR FIGHT – Sat/Sun Nov. 14 & 15
Join Stacey Abrams’ Fair Fight organization for their first Runoff GOTV weekend of action, Sat, Nov. 14 – Sun., Nov. 15, to text and call hundreds of thousands of voters across Georgia to make sure they have a plan to vote. Directly contacting voters is the best way to ensure they have the information needed for this election. Sign up HERE to help Georgians get the resources they need to vote in the January 5 Senate Runoff elections!
Donate to Stacy Abram’s FAIR FIGHT
Rather than donating to the candidates who are getting oodles of money nationwide, consider supporting Stacy’s incredible efforts to Get Out The Vote and register voters in GA: Donation Link. For more on Fair Fight: click HERE.
Phonebank for WARNOCK
Join team Warnock and phone bank! Sign up HERE.
Phonebank for OSSOFF
Join team Ossoff and phone bank! Sign up HERE.
Arlington GA ROAD TRIP
Arlington Dems with other members of the Va Grassroots Coalition will be coordinating road trips to Georgia for those wishing to help with voter registration (350,000 voters of color are UNREGISTERED) and GOTV. All activities will be Covid-Safe. If you’re interested, sign up HERE for more information.
Reclaim Our Vote GOTV Postcards
WofA will have postcards for Reclaim Our Vote’s efforts to Get Out The Vote. Get them while they last. Contact Jessie Clark at email@example.com to get your postcard packets. We provide the cards and addresses – you provide the stamps.
Follow/Like WARNOCK & OSSOFF on social media:
Ossoff/Warnock Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/2829212454065288
Jon Ossoff: https://twitter.com/ossoff
Rev. Raphael Warnock: https://twitter.com/ReverendWarnock
Jon Ossoff: https://www.facebook.com/jonossoff
Rev. Raphael Warnock: https://www.facebook.com/reverendwarnock
Nancy Broff is leading our voter protection hotline efforts for VA Dems or NC Dems. Join WofAs Nancy Broff, Sue Walton, Laura Dines, Marynell Bryant, Diane Greenlee, Robyn Lipton, Susan Cunningham, Gigi Bate & Sharon Shutler who are answering voter questions, chasing down ballots and curing ballot issues for VA and NC voters. The training is FABULOUS! Email Nancy Broff firstname.lastname@example.org for information, how to get trained, and sign up for shifts.
WOFA CHALLENGE: Help us reach our goal of 10 new volunteers BEFORE our October 12th Membership Meeting. TOGETHER, we can do this!!!!
Step #1 to Reclaim Our Democracy (updated)
Registration! Registration! Registration!
This is the first in a series of simple steps to reclaim our Democracy!
Please share with your Virginia family & friends, and make sure to include the following links:
Virginia Voters!!! Please check/update/plan your voting at:
Virginia Grassroots Coalition or
NOVEMBER GENERAL ELECTION – 11/3/2020
In-Person Absentee & Vote by Mail Deadlines
- Register to vote/update existing registration: TUE, OCT. 13th*
- Request Mail-In ballot no later than: TUE, OCT 13th*
- In-Person Absentee Voting – Highly Recommended. Ballots will be available at In-Person Early Voting locations listed below if you haven’t requested one. If you HAVE requested a Mail-In Ballot, but now want to vote EARLY IN-PERSON, you must bring entire ballot (with envelopes that you received in the mail) to the Bozman Govt. Ctr. address, or the following satellite polling locations:
• 2200 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite R140 (former Wells Fargo)
Early in-person voting starts at 2200 Clarendon location on Sept. 18
The following locations will open in October (date tba)
• Aurora Hills Senior Center, 735 18th S.
• Langston Brown Community Center, 2121 N. Culpeper St.
• Madison Community Center, 3829 N. Stafford St.
• Walter Reed Community Center, 2909 16th S.
Hours of operation for the satellite locations will be posted on the County website by the first week in September. Visit the County website for more information on voting. If you have requested a mail ballot, you may also check the status of your mail ballot application on the Virginia Department of Elections website. Ballots will be mailed starting September 18.
- Mail-In ballots MUST be signed, dated & mailed by OCTOBER 3rd*. Be sure to mail your ballot in by OCTOBER 3rd. Suggested dates, to ENSURE every vote is counted!
- Virginia ballots must be RECEIVED NO LATER THAN (not postmarked by) Election Day.
- Track your ballot’s progress: Ballot Scout or Citizen Portal
If you login to your Citizen Portal, the very first page (you might have to scroll down) will have the status of your ballot request. It should be “approved” like in the image below. If it is not, request your ballot immediately! Ballots will be mailed out starting Sept. 18th! The Ballot Scout tracker also starts operating on that date, when counties start mailing out ballots.
- Lastly you can vote In-Person on Election Day November 3rd. Wear your face mask, bring sanitizer, and social distance for your protection!
Order a ‘Vote’ Face Mask: $10.00 each. Profits to be used to purchase stamps and other GOTV material. Please email Micaela here if you’d like to buy some.
ELECTIONS 2020: GET INVOLVED
A Virginian Voter’s 100 Day Pledge
With less than 100 days until the General Election, it is imperative that we take and act on the “The Virginian’s Pledge” – and please share with Family and Friends! More voting details to follow!
- I will check and update my voter registration today at: https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation/Lookup/status
- I will make a plan to vote via In-Person Absentee or Mail-In Ballot.
- I will calendar date; time and location for In-Person Absentee voting
- I will calendar date(s) to check on my ballot request via: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/
- I will share the link vote.org to family and friends outside of VA and encourage them to Check/Update their Registration and request a Mail-In Ballot if they choose to not vote In-Person
- Register for Vote by Mail https://www.elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/
- In-Person Absentee Dates/Locations: https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation/PublicContactLookup
CAMP WOFA continues through August! See CAMP WOFA online calendar where members can find ACTIONS this summer to Flip the Senate, the White House, support BLM, and GOTV! It is a work in progress. Please consider hosting a virtual party this summer or social-distant parties. They could be book discussions, postcard parties, presentations on topics of interest, or maybe just sharing your expertise with the rest of us! We all have gifts to share with one another. Send Micaela Pond an e-mail if you want to be one of our WOFA camp counselors and add an event to our summer camp calendar! To View or Add Events Go To: https://teamup.com/ksz8g3bmh87fiwnnok
Democrats To Go – Phonebank for Dr. Cameron Webb
* * Wednesdays, 6:00 – 8:00 pm & Saturdays 5:00 – 7:00 pm * *
Sharon Shutler and Eden Brown are leading WofA phone banking efforts for Team Cameron Webb. Thanks to: Diane Hazzard, Rose Fabia, Fred Phillips, Vicki Moffit, Jessica Mott, Amy Bergner, Nancy Broff, and Joy Jacobson for phone banking one or more times! This race is neck and neck, so please help.
• Sign up with the Campaign HERE. The link brings you to the weekdays sign up; scroll to the right for the weekend options. Click on the time slot and….
• RSVP: Sharon at email@example.com or Eden firstname.lastname@example.org.
• What to bring? Cell phone and laptop.
• Campaign uses an automatic dialing platform – hubdialer. Training is offered approximately 15 minutes before each session
Indivisible Waterfront – Phonebank for Rep. Elaine Luria, CD2
* * Wednesday, August 26th, 7:00 pm * *
Join Indivisible Waterfront to call voters in support of Rep. Elaine Luria, VA2. Whether experienced or a first timer, please participate. It’s fulfilling to dial together and feel some camaraderie. To register, click the link. You will receive an initial registration confirmation. Closer to the phone banking date, Roxane will email a confirmation with the Zoom link and all the other info you need. Questions, contact Roxane at email@example.com
Yes, I’ll Phone Bank 8/26 for Rep. Luria
Indivisible Arlington – Virtual Fundraiser for Abigail Spanberger
* * Friday, August 28th, 6:00 pm * *
Indivisible Arlington is supporting the re-election of Congresswoman Abigail Spanberger from Virginia’s 7th Congressional District. In 2018, Rep. Spanberger flipped this seat to become the first Democrat since 1968 to represent the district. It is imperative that we hold this seat in the November election, and we need YOUR help! Representative Spanberger will be joining us to answer your questions and to share her vision for the future of Virginia. Donors will receive a Zoom link once we receive your RSVP. RSVP at https://abigail.vote/082820rsvp
Democrats To Go/Dining for Delegates – Virtual Fundraiser for Dr. Cameron Webb
* * Monday, August 31st, 8:00 – 9:00 pm * *
Join our sister groups, Democrats To Go and Dining for Delegates for a Zoom fundraiser for Dr. Cameron Webb. RSVP:
Get Involved in Pivotal Out-of-State Races
How to Support Key Races Outside of Virginia!!!
There are plenty of state legislative races outside of Virginia and that need our support in 2020. In 2020, EveryDistrict is focusing its efforts in 11 states where data shows an opportunity for Democrats to make strategic gains in : Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. Compared with other donation channels, the EveryDistrict’s 2020 Fund-WofA (https://secure.actblue.com/donate/everydistrict-2020-fund?refcode=wofa) has many advantages. Learn more here.
Two great phone banking opportunities focused on North Carolina. While canvassing is the gold standard for motivating voters to register and actually vote, research indicates that phone banking is the next most effective option. Like canvassing, it offers the opportunity to make a human connection, answer questions, and provide encouragement.
1. Reclaim Our Vote. This campaign is in conjunction with the NAACP and recruits voters to take a pledge to vote plus agree to get 5 family members or friends to vote, drive voters to the poll and other specific actions. Once the voters have “pledged” on the NCAAP website link, NCAAP volunteers call these voters and encourage them to make good on their pledge. This is classic organizing Obama style – activating and motivating voters. To get started Phonebanking – watch the Phonebank Training Video and read Phonebanker Guidelines. Phone banking by state and county can be found using State Link. Then click on NC. Scroll to the end for county by county access to active phone banking. If you have any questions, please contact the Phone Bank Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Join Powerhouse Sister Group – 31st Swing Left on an ambitious FLIP NC BLUE program. North Carolina is a “triple word score state,” with Democrats having the potential to flip the statehouses, elect a Democratic Senator, and send Joe Biden to an electoral college victory. registering new voters and mobilizing low propensity voters in key districts. All who sign up for Team North Carolina will get an email with information on the Zoom orientation session, Sunday, August 30th, 2-3 pm. Opportunities include:
• You Can Vote (YCV) PHONE CANVASSING for voter registration
Saturdays, 1-3 pm, beginning Saturday, Sept. 12th
You will need to take a one-time YCV training on NC voting information on Thursday, Sept. 3rd (6-7 pm) OR Saturday, Sept. 5th (10-11 am) OR Thursday, Sept. 10 (6-7 pm)
• Flip NC PHONE CANVASSING for NC State Candidates
Tuesdays, 6-8 pm, beginning Sept. 8th
Sundays, 2-4 pm, beginning Sept. 13th
• VOTER PROTECTION
Following evening training on Wednesday, Sept. 9th or Monday, Sept. 14th (date will be finalized soon) there will be 3-hour shifts answering calls to a voter assistance hotline; shifts available 9 am- 6 pm weekdays, 12-6 pm weekends.
Sign up here for TEAM NORTH CAROLINA
You’ll receive additional information about any additional activity-specific sign-up required.
PHONE BANKING, TEXT BANKING, POSTCARDS: While you’re hunkered down, use this time to phone bank, text bank, and write postcards. Challenge your family and friends to a postcard writing contest. Below are some excellent groups who will get you set up! You’ll notice that North Carolina is a bit of a theme…
Beyond Arlington Phone Bank
EVERY Tuesday & Thursday, 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Abigail Spanberger
- Elaine Luria
- Unaffiliated North Carolina Voters
Phone bank for Elaine Luria and Abigail Spanberger. Make calls to unaffiliated voters in NC, which will ultimately help Senate Democratic candidate Cal Cunningham and the down ballot candidates. Our own Rose Fabia and Steve Baker will be available Tuesday and Thursday evenings on Zoom to get you logged into VAN and download the Google Voice App. Make calls from the safe comfort of your own home. RSVP here
For upcoming Tuesday and Thursday phone banks: https://www.facebook.com/pg/BeyondArlington/events/?ref=page_internal
Organizing Together 2020
A powerhouse group focused on key battleground states: AZ, FL, MI, NC, PA, WI. Focus is on phone banking, post card writing, and text messaging depending on the state on a county by county basis. Choose the state and sign up on the website Organizing Together 2020.
Get copy of their States Report.
Join 31st Swing Left
Because, NC is one of the most strategic states with opportunities to flip the state house and elect a Democratic Senator – Cal Cunningham, 31st Swing Left will be participating in the Organizing Together 2020 NC efforts. For information, contact Julie Greenberg at email@example.com
Center for Common Ground/Reclaim Our Vote
Focusing on states where there’s a history of voter suppression and new voter suppression laws. For 2020, those states include: NC, TX, AZ, AL, MS, GA. Phone banking and post card writing. Sign up at Center for Common Ground/Reclaim Our Vote
Join Arlington Blue Families
to support NC elections through Reclaim Our Vote. Arlington Blue Families will supply post cards and addresses and arrange for pick up. Sign up at Arlington Blue Families Reclaim Our Vote
Voto Latino focuses on educating and empowering a new generation of Latinx voters. Focus is on digital campaigns such as text banking to make sure voters register and know where to get absentee ballots. Voto Latino
PostCards for VA: Support Congressional Districts in Virginia
Help raise $$ to support pivotal Senate races and state legislative races. Note – when we support key legislative races in states such as NC and PA, there is a tangible ripple up effect – as goes the state legislature, so goes the Congressional races and the presidential race.
Dr. Cameron Webb: Democratic Nominee for U.S. House of Representatives, District 5:
Indivisible Waterfront, Beyond Arlington and WoFA support Dr. Cameron Webb, a medical doctor and an attorney. Dr. Webb is a practicing physician and director of Health Policy & Equity at UVA’s School of Medicine. Webb is focused on health care, Covid 19 recovery, strengthening education, affordable housing, jobs and the economy, women’s equity, reforming criminal justice and infrastructure. Donate Here. OR…
WofA has a postcard campaign for Dr. Webb, to get voters registered in District 5, which is red, but forecast as a possible Democratic pick-up district! Get your postcard packets and get writing for voter registrations: Email Michaela here for your packet of postcards with some WofA TLC.💙
Cunningham Fundraiser Success – Thank you WoFA!
WofA helped raise $12,200 for the next Senator from North Carolina in an event sponsored by WofA, VADF, and Herndon Reston Indivisible. Those who attended the event can attest to the smarts and charisma of this fabulous democratic nominee who has Moscow Mitch worried. According to Moscow Mitch, if NC goes democratic, so goes the Senate! Thank you WofAs: Bonnie Becket, Amy Berner, Nancy Broff, Eden Brown, Jessie Clark, Francesca Constantino;Susan Cunningham, Matt DeFerranti, Ann Delorey, Abby Fox, Sue Gubisch, Gail Harrison, Joy Jacobson, Annette Lang, Jessica Mott, Vicki Moffitt, Kathleen Murray, Micaela Pond, Donelle Sawyer, Sharon Shutler, Julie Swanson, Mark Teel, Jamie Ursey. Not too late to donate!
RSVP and/or Donate: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/c4nc-0723
Two excellent local sister groups actively involved in fundraising:
- 31 Street Swing Left: https://www.31ststreet.org/. 31St Street Swing left makes very strategic decisions about which races at the State and Senate level to focus on. Currently, it is focused on NC because it is ripe to flip the State Legislature and simultaneously help Cal Cunningham take the Senate seat. https://secure.actblue.com/donate/31ststcarolinablue. 31st Street also raises money to promote fundraising to help voter registration and voting by mail. See: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/200305?refcode=Shelton
- NOPE Neighbors: https://www.nopeneighbors.org/. Focus on critical Electoral College votes that Dems narrowly lost in 2016. Includes down ballot. Current top priority PA (focus on 5 state legislative seats: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/nope4pa) and NC. Over the summer, focus will shift to narrowly-won US House seats. After Labor Day, US Senate races. Use of peer-to-peer promotion and “giving circles”.
- Swing Left: https://swingleft.org/. Focus on 12 “super states”: AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ME, MI, NC, OH, PA, TX, WI, which have good prospects to flip the US presidential, US Senate, and/or state legislatures. Support all twelve or focus on states where you have strong interests.
- EveryDistrict PAC: https://everydistrict.us/ Focus on 11 states: AZ, FL, GA, IA, KS, MI, NC, OH, PA, TX, WI to help flip a state legislative chamber. Support weekly top candidates and/or state-specific slates where you have strong interests.
URGENT CALLS TO ACTION
Vote-by-Mail & In-Person Absentee Voting
November General Election – Nov. 3rd, 2020
- Register to vote or update an existing registration: TUE, OCT. 13th*
- Request Mail-In ballot no later than: TUE, OCT 13th*
- Mail-In ballots MUST be mailed by OCTOBER 20th*. Be sure to mail your ballot in by OCTOBER 20th*.
- Track your ballot’s progress: Ballot Scout or Citizen Portal
*Suggested dates, to ENSURE every vote is counted!
Virginia ballots must be RECEIVED NO LATER THAN (not postmarked by) Election Day October 13th.
Transforming White Privilege Exploring Whiteness
Dominique Maderal is a WofA and an experienced facilitator who is hosting a virtual workshop series. Learn more on social media @Dom_madz https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPM7tWe7Vs25ygczbVQKQRA7–4yvFWeERqtQ0NCQUK8deOw/viewform
Volunteer Virtual English Teacher/Curriculum Resources Needed
From Tenant and Workers United, Mia Taylor:
“The group would prefer to meet on Mondays and Wednesdays at 6:00 pm for an hour. The English level of learners is beginner. We have a volunteer working on curriculum, activities, and materials, but if anyone has curriculum resources they could share, that’d be great! Past teaching experience preferred, but certainly not required. Focus will be on conversational practice, with potential for some reading/writing activities. (Waiting for some community feedback about those specifics.)”
For further information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support our Greater Arlington Community during COVID-19
If you are in Arlington, consider donating to these worthy groups:
Opt-In Pantry: Opt-In Pantry for APS Students
Covid-Care Arlington. Easy ways to help our community. Consider donating to Arlington Thrive which is the only organization in Arlington County, Virginia that provides same-day, emergency financial assistance to County residents who experience sudden financial crisis such as temporary unemployment or illness. See full list of Covid-Care opportunities from the Arlington County Volunteer Website
Join our VA General Assembly Working Groups
Get timely updates on current/upcoming legislation and Calls to Action, for more information, please contact:
Campaign Finance Reform: email@example.com
Clean Energy/Climate: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Gun Safety: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reproductive Rights: email@example.com
NARAL’s Legislative Rapid Response Team
Family Friendly Economy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Practices for WofA’s Facebook Page
With the Pandemic; Upcoming Primaries and Presidential Election, we have found it necessary to post a few gentle reminders regarding best practices for WofAs Facebook page:
WofA FB Guidelines:
· News Articles – this is a place where people go to find actions. Posting articles re: the daily incompetency of our current administration is not productive.
· WofA does not endorse Dem primary candidates – Facebook events are allowed. Endorsements of a particular candidate will be removed
· Let’s keep things positive; educational and actionable!
Personal Facebook Page Tips
1. Check the date before sharing or posting! There has been a resurgence of old news articles being shared – often with shocking headlines. Even if true, most people do not care to spend time on old news – we all are fed a daily diet of shocking news and horrific events.
2. Check the source. If you do not recognize the news source, go to: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com and to find out if something is an “urban legend” or just doesn’t sound right, try: https://www.snopes.com